A week ago, I was asked by a friend on how her mineral makeup would stay put on her skin. Considering it was a really great brand that she was already using, I was surprised, and asked her what happened. It turns out that her skin was extremely oily like mine, and she uses only mineral foundation. I told her that she needed a finishing powder to further control her oilies for it was an extra step for oily-skinned people like me, had to take.
Applying an oil control finishing powder would sure help control your oily skin while wearing mineral makeup, as it would definitely be a big help in making it stay put. I would most recommend to use the sandwich method for this.
How do we do the sandwich method? Here are the steps.
Pre-sandwich method steps:
1. Cleanse skin well, tone, and moisturize. Even if skin is oily, moisturizer is much needed. If oily skin is left dry, it would secrete more sebum, making it oilier. Get an oil-free, water based moisturizer to suit your skin.
2. Apply skin primer ( like Pure Luxe’s Cream Eraser, Bare Escentual’s Prime Time ) to smoothen out the skin, for the perfect makeup base.
3. For somewhat oily skin ( still tolerable ), get your powder brush, and for extremely oily skin, get your concealer brush. Using a powder brush, sweep a thin layer of finishing powder on the skin. If concealer brush is to be used, use it like you are applying concealer, and brush on extremely oily areas. After that, also sweep a thin layer on the whole face. Be careful not to
apply a thick layer, for it may make your pores look enlarged, or make the look unnatural.
4. Apply foundation, blush, or eyeshadow as needed.
5. Get your powder, or dual fibre brush, and apply a thin layer of finishing powder.
6. Spritz moisture mist on the face to set, and further make the look more natural.
Following those steps would surely help the oily skinned girls to be rest assured that their mineral makeup won’t give up on them for the whole day! A small pot of finishing powder inside your makeup purse won’t hurt, for when a retouching need surfaces, you won’t be problemized!
Here are great picks for oil control finishing powders :
1. Larenim Dusk Til Dawn - this is applied before foundation. more opaque than the normal finishing powder, so be careful in applying this! if applied correctly, this can be your saving grace!
2. Larenim Mineral Silk - one of the best, and I mean the best, oil control finishing powders, that also gives a gorgeous finish on the skin.
3. Valerie Beauty Matte Finish – the matte finish that doesn’t look flat. my friends all love this!
4. Milan Mineral’s Oil at Bay – fellow mineral makeup addict Joyce is so raving about this with the extremeoil control performance. I can’t wait to get mine to check this out, but I trust her judgement!
5. Monave Angel Finishing Powder – aside from its creamy, mineral foundation perfecting finish, the oilies are sure well-controlled with this!
I know the feeling of having really problematic oily skin, and I really exhausted every option to make all kinds of makeup stay on me. I’m glad that I’ve learned about the sandwich method and customized it with my own style!
If anyone has great oil control minerals , or oil control tips that they could recommend, please leave a comment, and share!